Are you missing out on customers because of poor web design? A poorly-built web site could end up costing you many new customers.
In a world where attractive things matter, how your website looks can be important to the success of your business. Your website is probably the first thing that your visitors see and this can influence their decision to purchase from you.
Think about how most people research services nowadays. Even if we’re only doing preliminary research, we may fire up our laptop and go browse somebody’s web site first before buying products in-store or online.
Now, try to see things from your customer’s point of view. How does your web presence appear to visitors? Does your site invite people to approach and explore things further, or does it make people confused and cautious about what to do next?
What your prospects see “above the fold” (i.e. what you first see in your screen) is just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other factors that can affect your web visitors’ thoughts and their purchasing decisions.
Let’s review some of the more important design issues that can affect your site.
Web Site Design Problems
Common web design problems that can affect a visitor’s perception about your site include:
- Color – Clashing color combinations affect your website’s results. This also applies to using text and background color. There are methods to specify web colors correctly and even safe web color tools to ensure that the color combinations you want to use will display predictably across various devices. If in doubt, seek the services of a professional web designer.
- Design Elements – Web pages that contain unattractive, outdated and just plain old ugly graphic elements can result in users quickly losing interest in your website. Visitors can also be affected by inconsistent graphic element choices or excessive use of design elements.
- Layout – How your site is arranged can have a significant impact on the way users navigate around your site. Layout considerations also include how your navigational items, links and other useful objects.
- Responsiveness – As websites are now viewed using various devices with different-sized screens and browsers, it’s important that your web design be fully responsive. If your website does not resize automatically to work on all devices, browsers and platforms, you may incur significant loss of customers.
Site Functionality Issues
Common website functionality problems include the following:
- Subpar functionality – A huge turn-off for users is arriving on a page where hyperlinks don’t work, videos don’t play and graphics aren’t displaying. Frequent errors are not acceptable, especially when your aim is to come across as a professional. Your digital presence reflects your company. It’s important to make sure that all your links, videos and graphics are running smoothly all the time. In some cases, problems are caused by factors such as your hosting, or they may even be unbeknownst to you, but it’s important to ensure that you remain proactive and that you attend to problems immediately.
- Feature limitations – If your website offers users certain features, then make sure that these functionalities are not limited. For example, if you intend to sell goods or services online, make sure that you provide users with full e-commerce functionality that allow them to choose and add items to a shopping cart, use discounts, pay using credit card or PayPal, receive notifications, invoices and confirmations, etc.
Poor Web User Experience
Typically, the area that most suffers due to a poorly-built web site is the “user experience”.
A bad user experience can leave a bad taste in users mouths and lead them to share their disappointment across social media, forums, review sites, comments, etc., bringing you unwanted negative publicity.
Common problems that can create a disappointing user experience include the following:
- User Friendly – Your site should be easy to use and easy to navigate. Your product information should be easy to find. Your web visitors want user-friendly features and they want to find what they are looking for as quickly and as effortlessly as possible. Make your content searchable and if you plan to add downloadable content to your site (e.g. presentation slides), make sure that users are given instructions on how to download and access your files.
- Organized – If your site isn’t organized and user-friendly, you run the risk of losing not only prospective customers but existing clients also. Providing features such as search engine-friendly links, product and service categories and clean areas where your content is grouped or linked together can help provide visitors with a good user experience.
- Eye-Catching Features – Visitors stay longer on sites that are user friendly, well organized, and that provide them with stimulating options. To achieve this you need to strike a balance between attractive, modern web design and compelling webcopy that engages your users. For example, highlight links that lead to product pages by inserting great graphics with well-written product descriptions. This is effective and will help you improve not just the user experience on your website, but can also lead to more sales and conversions.
- Interactive Site – Another aspect that helps customers decide to stick around on your website is to provide interactive features that engage customers, such as allowing them to comment on, share, like, download and recommend your content, interact with your support staff via a responsive help desk, support forum, live chat, schedule appointments, make reservations, etc … Additionally, you want users to browse quickly around your site and access your information without waiting around for content to load, so having your site optimized for page loading speed is important. Our preferred webhost handles speed optimisation, security and many other things all for you.
- Trustworthy Website – One of the most important and often most neglected aspects of creating a great user experience is to ensure that users feel comfortable interacting with you online. To reassure your prospective clients that your business is credible, trustworthy, secure and professional to deal with, make sure that your web site includes legal compliance pages such as a business contact page, privacy statement, terms and conditions of usage, security information, FTC disclaimers, etc. The best source for obtaining such legal documents, affordably and drafted by a lawyer is here.
As the above shows, there are many areas that can contribute to a poor user experience and impact your business success online. If your website is poorly built, you run the serious risk of not only losing prospective paying clients, but also your current clients as well.
Now … what if you have arrived on our website because you have an existing site with design issues that you feel could be affecting your business?
First, be aware that getting issues addressed on an existing site can take some time and can also be somewhat costly depending on the problem and what kind of website you own, especially if the work requires rewriting web code.
If you are considering having a new website developed or redesigning an existing web site, then we suggest that you consider using the WordPress web site management platform.
We plan to provide more in-depth information and some paid training options as well (see the notes at the bottom for signing up to our notification list) about the benefits and advantages of WordPress on this site, but here are just some of the things to keep in mind about why you should choose WordPress.
WordPress – Inexpensive Web Design
WordPress themes are unique web site design template systems that allow you to easily change the look of your entire site without touching the site’s content and modifying any underlying software.
There are thousands of professional looking themes for WordPress available that you can install on your site. Many of these are either free, or they can be purchased for a relatively reasonable price, saving you thousands of dollars on the cost of web design. Some themes will require you to modify CSS code to adjust some display options but our recommended theme lets you adjust all the display options without learning any coding.
Most themes for WordPress nowadays are responsive and provide users with highly customizable features for changing design on your website such as color, elements like headers and footers, page layouts and more. This is just one of the many things that make WordPress an ideal tool for helping you achieve a design for your website that ultimately works for your business.
Learn about an excellent versatile WP theme here.
WordPress Plugins – Modular Features
Another compelling reason to choose WordPress is that WordPress provides users with expandable functionality through add-on applications called “plugins.”
Plugins, like WP themes, integrate easily with your website to provide you with almost unlimited functionality.
Earlier we discussed issues in areas like subpar functionality and feature limitations as part of the reason why a poorly designed website can cost you business.
Plugins can help you overcome these issues quite easily. If there is a feature that needs to be added to your website, just install a plugin that will do exactly what you need done.
Need a plugin that will notify you about any problems on your website like links not working, audios not playing, images that aren’t displaying or even alert you if your entire website has gone down? No problems … there are plugins that can help you fix that, or notify you about problems so you can take immediate corrective action!
Want a plugin that will transform your website into an online store or provide you with a complete e-commerce business solution? Again, no problem! There are several WordPress plugins that will help you sell goods or services online and provide your users with full e-commerce features that allow them to select and add products to a cart, enter discount coupons, buy using credit card or PayPal, receive purchase notifications, receipts and email confirmations, etc.
And just like themes, there are tens of thousands of fantastic WordPress plugins that can be downloaded at no cost, or that are relatively inexpensive, once again, saving you hundreds, even thousands of dollars on the cost of website development.
WordPress – An Interactive User Experience
In addition to being able to correct issues caused by a poorly-designed website, WordPress can also help you create a great user experience for your customers.
WordPress provides beautiful and visually-exciting themes that cover all kinds of uses and applications and plugins that allow visitors to contact, engage and interact online with you. With the right combination of a WordPress-driven website, WP themes and plugins, plus great content, you can create a highly interactive and engaging user experience that will keep visitors coming back again and again.
As we’ve previously stated, consumers nowadays do research online before making a purchasing decision. If your website isn’t designed with customers in mind, they will simply move on to another business with a better website or user experience.
Hopefully now you have a better understanding of problems that can affect your web site and how WordPress can help you get better results online. To learn more about using WordPress for a business web site please see our related posts section.
Need help with WordPress? Please add your thoughts below and share this post with your friends.
We realise that designing your website correctly and knowing which theme and plugins to use can all be very overwhelming. That’s why we are developing a course on building your professional blog and website, ready to earn income, all within 12 days.
If you would like to be notified when it is ready for launch and receive a special launch offer just for subscribers then please sign up to our email list by requesting our cheat sheet for launching your own business.
Till next time,
Disclaimer: This site is not associated with WordPress or any of the WP products written about on this site. We may derive a financial benefit from sales of products advertised, reviewed or linked to from this site. The product details used in this review have been sourced from the plugin’s own website and/or from sites that provide WordPress services.